Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Garlic Shrimp and Chickpeas

So I saw this recipe in a food magazine, and decided I MUST try it.  It has several things that I love: shrimp, chickpeas, garlic and red pepper flakes.  I've never had roasted chickpeas before.  I'm so glad that I did.  The texture is amazing, and the color is really beautiful.
This recipe had me at Hello.  I have tweaked it some, because the original recipe had lots of oil.  I love extra virgin olive oil, but I don't think it's absence distracts from the flavor.  I used 100% canola oil spray instead; however, I left the EVOO in the recipe in case you want to enjoy the full fat flavor.  I won't lie - a little fat usually makes most things taste great.
Either way, this recipe is so delicious, I will be making it on the regular.  I'm gonna try is cold over some mixed salad greens with some fresh lemon vinaigrette.  I have a feeling it's gonna be yummy.  Enjoy!

 Garlic Shrimp and Chickpeas
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
(I use 100% canola oil spray instead - healthier)
Kosher salt
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh baby spinach
Lemon wedges, for serving


Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. Toss the chickpeas with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large baking dish, then spread out in a single layer. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.

Roasted chickpeas look as good as they taste
Meanwhile, toss the shrimp with 4 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, lemon zest, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Marinate 10 minutes.
Something wonderful is happening in this bowl

Remove the baking dish from the oven and scatter the shrimp over the chickpeas.

Raw shrimp

Return to the oven and bake until the shrimp are pink, 5 to 8 minutes.

Perfectly cooked shrimp

Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with the spinach. Serve with lemon wedges.



No comments:

Post a Comment