Monday, September 10, 2012

Something new for breakfast: Korean-style Steamed Eggs

I have a love-hate relationship with breakfast.  Actually it's more like a tolerate-hate relationship.  I've never been a big breakfast foods fan.  I don't like milk.  Cereal is okay, but I rarely want something sweet first thing in the morning.  And eggs ... eggs and I have a complicated relationship.  Growing up, I refused to eat eggs. The taste, the smell, the entire experience grossed me out.  I don't think I started eating eggs regularly until after I graduated from college.  My perfect breakfast has always been a grilled cheese sandwich or some cold pizza.

I started eating eggs as a part of a healthy lifestyle change.  You might be thinking - eggs?  As part of a healthy lifestyle?  YES!  Eggs get a bad rep, but they are actually the perfect foundation for a healthy breakfast.  Of course this depends on how they are cooked.

So I begrudgingly started eating eggs.  And though I have learned to enjoy them more, I am always on the lookout for  yummy and healthy recipes for eggs.  Once again, thanks given to Pinterest for introducing me to something new and wonderful: Korean-style steamed eggs.  Or Gyeran Jjim (which literally means "steamed eggs") for my Korean speaking friends.  I had never heard of this style of eggs before.  I was drawn to the idea of the light and fluffy, custard-like texture.  With a 15 minute prep-to-eat time, it was definitely going to have to wait until the weekend to give this a try.  I woke up Sunday morning with 2 eggs in the fridge and the urge to be adventurous.

This recipe is really easy and open to customization.  The end result was an uber light and fluffy delicious dish.  The egg flavor is very subtle, which made my taste buds swoon.  The original recipe suggests using fish sauce or other options that had a nice, salty flavor.  But since I only had the 2 eggs, I decided to play it safe and use a mixture of milk and water.  Though the taste was light and delicious, I will definitely try broth or fish sauce the next time I make this dish.  A little salty, savoriness would have put this dish over the top.

Korean-Style Steamed Eggs (Gyeran Jjim)
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water, plus more for filling pot

Combine the eggs, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a bowl. Whisk until well combined and foamy.   Pour egg mixture into a ramekin or heat-safe ceramic bowl.
Korean-style steamed eggs topped with bacon and cheese

Place the ramekin in a pot. Fill the pot with hot (not boiling) water to come halfway up the sides of the bowl. Cover the pot with a clear glass lid so you can easily watch the water and eggs. Cook over low-medium heat for 12 minutes, making sure the water stays at a gentle simmer.

If you want to add any toppings sprinkle them on top of the eggs and continue to cook for about 3 minutes or until the eggs are set. They should be firm but jiggly.  Carefully lift the bowl from the pot and serve.  I suggest using a set of long tongs.
Grab a spoon, gently scoop out some of the custardy goodness.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment