Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Baked Tortilla Chips

I love snacks.  Who doesn't?  Snacking is a part of the American lifestyle.  But trying to be healthy or loose weight while snacking can lead to some precarious eating experiences.  Of course I like fruit.  And veggie sticks and hummus are delicious.  But some times you need chips.  Not veggie chips (which I also like).  But real deal, crunchy, tasty chips.

I actually Googled 'baked chips recipe' because I had over-bought tortillas at Sam's Club and needed to use them up before they went bad.  Let me say in advance that baking your own tortilla chips is a bit more cumbersome than going to the store and buying them; however, I think the final product is tastier and crunchier than store-bought chips.  In a pinch, I have bought baked chips.  But they are so expensive, that my enjoyment of the chips is tainted by my resentment for the high price.

Below is the basic recipe for Baked Tortilla Chips.  It only has two ingredients:

Corn tortillas (preferably white)
Oil in a mister or commercial spray like Pam


But please feel free to experiment.  I like to make my plain (unsalted), but I would definitely encourage the addition of kosher or sea salt.  If you're feeling festive you can add ground cumin, cayenne pepper, lime juice.  Whatever you like.  I like to keep my plain because it give me the flexibility of dipping in salsa or hummus or any other condiment that tempts me.



Today I decided to mix up this recipe and use Coconut Oil instead of Pam.  It's made the preparation a little more involved.  BUT I've been using coconut oil exclusively for a few months, so it was the only option in the house.  And good news - it didn't change the flavor at all.  The main adjustment I had to make was to rub the coconut oil into the tortillas BEFORE I cut them.  But it didn't really seem to add much time to the overall experience.  And made my cuticles nice and soft.



  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
  2. Because the coconut oil is semi-solid, I spooned a small amount on each tortilla and rubbed it in on both sides.  If you are using oil in a mister or spray can, you can spray each side.  Make sure you get each side evenly coated before you cut the tortillas. **If you're going to add spices, I think you get a more even coating if you are working with the uncut tortilla**
  3. Cut each tortilla into 4 wedges.  You can cut them into smaller pieces (8 wedges), but I like a big chip.
  4. Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil. This just makes for an easier clean up.  Arrange chips in a single layer on the cookie sheet.  Do not overlap the chips.  They need a little space to get crispy.
  5. Bake for about 8-10 minutes and then flip the chips over and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes.

When the chips are done baking transfer them to a cooling rack.  This is also for crunchiness.  If you don't have a cooling rack, don't worry.  You'll still get a crispy chip.


Be warned.  Watch the clock.  Especially if this your first time making this recipe.  It only takes a few minutes to overcook your chips.  I wouldn't suggest making these chips while your stories are on.  You're more likely to burn your chips.

Once the chips have cooled, transfer them to a plastic bag or air-tight container.  They will stay yummy for a few days.

That is if you don't eat them all with your favorite salsa

or hummus


Or however you choose to dip.  Either way: Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment